dump1090 - forked repo and added mysql support - some artwork

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Mar 8 00:50:45 UTC 2013

Good idea!

Oliver Goldenstein wrote:
> You may easily setup the db using the supplied script "tracks.sql"

Please treat DDL like all the other source code.

In particular, avoid storing DDL generated by a tool (maybe in
particular by phpMyAdmin) under version control.

Write DDL by hand, like the other source code, and store that under
version control. Otherwise you will inevitably get lots of noise in
the repository. For example because your web server PHP version
changes. And of course the Erstellungszeit timestamp will be
different whenever you ask phpMyAdmin to generate a new file
the next time. That makes no sense.

> Username and password ist coded for now as mysql user: root
> mysql password: root.

I suggest using the configuration files read by the client library to
set a password, if any. I would suggest $USER as default username,
and connecting without a password by default. If a password is
needed, set it in one of the config files read by libmysqlclient.

Oh, and I recommend everyone to use MariaDB instead of MySQL -
the most competent MySQL developers left Oracle several years ago
and work on MariaDB now. Drop-in replacement. https://mariadb.org/

//Peter