osmocom-sdr Digest, Vol 15, Issue 3

Felix Rublack frubi at frubi.net
Sun Feb 3 14:16:07 UTC 2013

On 03.02.2013 14:20, Jeff Murri wrote:
>> -Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 22:49:14 +0100
>> From: Benedikt Heinz <zn000h at gmail.com>
>> To: osmocom-sdr at lists.osmocom.org
>> Subject: new SDR project (bladeRF) on kickstarter
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> just stumbled across this SDR on kickstarter:
>> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1085541682/bladerf-usb-30-software-defined-radio
>> (found via hackaday)
>> Maybe this is interesting for some of you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> hunz
>>
> I saw this too. It looks like a great piece of kit. Doesn't the dollars he's asking seem a bit steep though? Maybe not, and I'm hoping this comes off as a serious question. If it were opened up so that the dollars asked was lower then there'd be a lot of backers, which in turn drives build costs down further?
> If HackRF is half as good as I think it's going to be, then the $$ is definitely way to high. Just my (possibly uninformed) opinion.

The bladeRF offers some more functionality compared to the HackRF. The
HackRF is a quite "stupid" device just passing digital samples to and
from the host. The bladeRF has also an FPGA, which allows you do to some
processing on the device or even standalone operation. So you can not
just compare the price and the output in MSPS.

Greetings
Felix

PS: Sorry Jeff for spaming your inbox.