Need help decoding of FLARM (868.2/868.4MHz)

Nick Foster bistromath at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:14:14 UTC 2013

This is a new one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Looks like a
voluntary, GPS-based (i.e., not secondary surveillance) system. While the
serial protocol appears to be NMEA-like, the protocol "under the hood" at
the PHY layer could be basically anything, and the FLARM consortium appears
to have elected to keep specs hidden. Reading the dataport specification
gives few insights as to the PHY layer, but at least it's good to know the
protocol has "future-proof" support for all aircraft types.

[image: Inline image 1]

If you record good FLARM transmissions I am happy to assist in decoding
what I can, not least because proprietary protocols were meant to be open.
=)

--n