Licensing issues

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:52:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Scott Cutler <scott at scottcutler.net> wrote:
> Look, as I said, I plan on open-sourcing this stuff anyway.  I just need to
> reserve the possibility of distributing a closed-source personal branch
> that's still compatible with rtlsdr, and to possibly have a temporary period
> with a more restrictive license, like MS-RSL.

Note, that GPL has nothing to do with your personal use. GPL is
triggered only when you convey your software to someone else, either
by publishing on the Internet, or passing a flash drive from hands to
hands. In both (and all other) cases GPL'ed software should be
accompanied with the respective source code. If you do not give the
software to anybody and use it by yourself - you don't have any
obligations about the source code. If you give your software to
someone on a flash drive, you don't need to put the source code on the
Internet, it's fine to put them on the same flash drive. But the
person who received the source code will be free to put the on the
Internet.

This is in short. And surely, this is not a legal advise, etc, etc.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru