Licensing issues

Scott Cutler scott at scottcutler.net
Wed Sep 26 09:06:40 UTC 2012

A separate executable, interfaced only over the network, implies pretty
wide separation in my opinion. Web browsers that connect to GPL web
servers aren't obligated to be open.

The reason I'd want it anyway is the network transparency--once I
thought about it some, I really like the idea of setting up 3-4 dongles
in my attic with different antennas.   I have a server up there already,
so I wouldn't need to run more wiring.

Look, as I said, I plan on open-sourcing this stuff anyway.  I just need
to reserve the possibility of distributing a closed-source personal
branch that's still compatible with rtlsdr, and to possibly have a
temporary period with a more restrictive license, like MS-RSL.

I haven't decided yet, at any rate.  It may just remain a personal pet
project if I don't have enough time to spend improving it first.

-Scott