Beginner question about rtlsdr

Jared Clements jared.clements at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:45:13 UTC 2012

Hi list, hi Michel,

I'm new here, but have been working on the same solution as you are, but
for an Amsat all sky tracking receiver.

First, let me point you to the signal processing textbook I've been working
my way through:  dspguide.com. It can be a bit verbose for a textbook, but
that's been to my advantage several times.

I've run into two clear obstacles trying to build an interferometric
array.  Both have to do with clock synchronization. First is clock drift.
No matter how expensive the crystal, or precise the temperature control,
two clocks are going to drift with respect to each other.  I'm planning on
solving this one by pulling the crystal off the dongles and replacing it
with a clock input that I'll pipe from one single clock/crystal out to each
dongle.  I'm assuming that I'll have to use equal length cables to keep my
timing correct.

The second problem is synchronizing the separate data streams so I know
which samples were taken at the exact same time.  This one is a bit
trickier, and I don't think there's a hardware solution for it.  Most
multichannel data acquisition systems have a trigger system to solve this,
where all the channels get initialized but don't start to capture until the
trigger is received. Unfortunately I don't think there's a trigger input
pin anywhere in our dongles.

There is another way, and that's find a known RF signal that we can use for
synchronization. GPS would be ideal, because there's explicit solutions for
time offsets/drift that's referenced to atomic clocks.  We could record 5
minutes or so on the L1 band before an observation, then mid-capture tune
to our frequency of interest...assuming we can shift the e4k chip without
interupting the RTL2832 in it's capture sequence.

Does anyone here know if this is possible? Shift the tuner without
interupting the capture?

This does require a wide band antenna, best options seem to be spiral and
conical spiral.  There's probably other options, like an active gps patch
antenna that's duplexed in with a frequency specific duplexer, but I'm not
much of an rf guy and I like the simplicity of the single wide band antenna.

I've also been looking at options for building out an array, I've seen
reports that a good LNA can get 20dB in SNR, but a wideband preamp runs $70
on minicircuits website. Plus the cost of a bias T and a clean power
supply.  And I'm not sure that I understand all the built-in options for
amplification and filtering yet.  That design trade is still pretty fuzzy.
It might be more cost effective to just buy more dongles and get better SNR
through summing their outputs.  More research required!