Beginner question about rtlsdr

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 22 03:53:47 UTC 2012

Hello Michel

The fact about Cooling Electronics comes down to how much benefit is
obtained by lowering the chip temperature. While lowering the temperature of
CCDs contributes to lowering the Chip's Dark Current and single pixel
artifacts, the benefits to reducing noise of Low Noise Radio Frequency
Amplifiers is not very effective, at least from what a Peltier cooler would
provide. Reducing noise in RF Amps will only be useful if you can reduce the
"System Noise Temperature" (in Kelvin) by a factor of 4, resulting in
doubling the effective communication range (number of Light Years).

Examples of Cooling a GaAs PHEMT preamp with a noise temp of 50K at Room
Ambient, with Dry Ice might at the most, reduce its noise by 35%; only a
small improvement. However, the Antenna noise, plus Sky noise, plus Earth
noise is the source of much of the unwanted noise, not the Amplifier hence
the advantage of Space-based Receivers. So cooling an LNA with Dry Ice plus
the unavoidable environmental noise provides only an 8% improvement. Cooling
with a Peltier device or Dry Ice, while providing some benefit, is not worth
the trouble. Cryogenic cooling provides a more desired effect. Placing a
Cryogenic LNA (Liquid Helium) in front of the Tuner will definitely increase
your Light Years, however, this technique is logistically complex and
expensive, but possible.

The obvious direction is toward an Array. This provides a solution to reduce
noise through Signal Processing, with the down side of needing many more
receivers and physical space for the Array.