GTP-C v2 in open grps

Tom Herbert tom at quantonium.net
Sat Sep 2 16:51:57 UTC 2017

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 04:27:22PM -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:
>> > * nwGTPv2c which is originally from https://sourceforge.net/projects/nwepc/
>> >   and has also been used in OAI at
>> >   https://gitlab.eurecom.fr/oai/openair-cn/tree/master/SRC/GTPV2-C/nwgtpv2c-0.11
>> >
>> I looked at that, it's pretty minimal for our purposed.
>
> Welcom to the (cellular) telecom world.  Feels like the state of Linux in the
> mid-1990ies:  Some minimal FOSS implementations exist, but most of the work still
> has to be done.  We've been trying hard since 2008 inside Osmocom, but as indicated
> so far no 4G related contributions (financially or in terms of code).
>
>> My user requires GTPv2 (i.e. this is for 4G network). My interest here
>> is really to do development on the user plane,
>
> Are we talking about FOSS development here?

Yes.

>> but we need a GTP-C to at least prototype something for their network.
>
> What exactly do you want to prototype? Which of the many GTPv2-C
> transactions do you need?  I guess if you can deal e.g. without
> relocation, then the complexity is quite reduced.

I need the control plane to be able to develop the data path. The
ultimate goal of our project is to an implement and ILA data path;
that is use it instead of GTP-U tunneling but still have the GTP-C
control plane. The support we need starts out simple, just create a
data path and demonstrate the benefits (maybe as much that is in
nwgtpv2). As we proceed, obviously we'll want to prototype more of the
capabilities such as handover. That being said, this is just a
prototype for now!

How much effort do you think it would be to implement GTPv2-C?

>> Also, we'd like the kernel support for GTP-U (including IPv6 which I
>> suppose is still outstanding).
>
> correct.  We've just added user-plane IPv6 support to openggsn in
> userspace, v6 user plane (or even transport plane) in kernel GTP is
> still another area looking for contributions.

What is the difference between user plane and transport plane?

I'm looking at the GTP kernel code, it seems to be pretty
straightforward to add IPv6, and the common offloads and I could look
at that once I figure out a solution for using GTP-C v2.

Thanks,
Tom