GTP echo response

Andreas Schultz aschultz at tpip.net
Wed Apr 5 10:26:36 UTC 2017

Hi Alandre,

----- On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Alandre de Carvalho alandrecm at tipbrasil.com.br wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> We’re using kernel GTP developed by Osmocom on openair-cn. Turns out that we are
> not able to connect an UE for longer than 20 seconds using an ZTE eNB
> apparently because the GTP-U is not answering to the echo requests. As far I
> know this response is supposed to be implemented but it is not answering. Do
> you guys have any tips on this issue?

I don't know how OpenAir-CN uses the kernel module, but Echo handling
is not part of the kernel implementation.

The kernel will pass all GTP-U packets that do not match a PDP context
(this applies to Echo Request) up to the user space management process
which then has to generate the proper response.

Your problem feels a bit like the OAI-CN userspace is not handling the
echo requests. Maybe it's not implemented?

Regards
Andreas