GTP-u Kernel module

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at netfilter.org
Sun Sep 25 12:25:10 UTC 2016

Hi Holger and Vicent,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 02:41:02PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > On 22 Sep 2016, at 11:56, Ferrer Guasch Vicent <vicent.ferrerguasch at aalto.fi> wrote:
[...]
> > If this is not the correct mailing list, please let me know.
>
> I think it is a good ml for the topic but you lost me on roadmap. It
> solves what it had to solve and now it is a matter of scratching
> your own itch.

On my side, I have no plans to add what you need, so patches are very
welcome. I can help providing indications on how to get things done if
you have time to work on this. So I would suggest you fire at one
front at a time.

I would start by adding the assymmetric tunnel ID allocation that you
need, which should not be too complicated to add. You have to extend
the netlink interface that we have on gtp to support this.

> > How can I contribute to this project. Should I work on the whole
> > kernel tree? I have no experience with kernel module development.
> > If you want I could work on some API modification proposals and
> > designs.
>
> I think after it hit the mainline kernel we don't have a formal
> process yet. Pablo, what do you think. Should we host a linux git
> tree to collect changes that are then fed to netdev, shall people
> contribute directly there?

I have just created a gtp specific kernel tree here:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/pablo/gtp.git/

more specifically, the GTP driver is at driver/net/gtp.c

You can submit patches based on that tree anytime. Please, read this
carefully:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

As I'll be taking your patches and submitting them to the Linux
networking kernel mailing list, I need that you make it in the right
way to reduce my maintainance burden here.

Thanks!