Academic project based on OpenGGSN

Manuel José Muñoz Calero manuelj.munoz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:00:14 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

Please, let me introduce myself.
My name is Manuel Munoz, Computer Scientist, looking for a topic for my
project/undergrad thesis at Universidad de Leon, Spain.
I am evaluating these days the possibility to do something interesting
which could be used as my project and also to put my bit for the OpenGGSN
project.

Some more about me.
I am 36, have been working for +10 years in IT (sysadmin, php developer,
plsql developer, datacenters...).
I can speak English and Spanish and hold a 3 years bachelor degree.
Not long ago I worked for two years for providers of 2G/3G network
monitoring systems, so I have some knowledge about those topics.
Also quite fluent in C, wireshark, unix scripting...

This weekend I have been doing a quick research and refreshing my mind
about both security and mobile networks,  and also took a look to OpenGGSN
code.

Long story short, what about me implementing IPSec for GTP-C in OpenGGSN?
Do you think it could be useful? Feasible?

3GPP Protect GTP signalling messages by IPSec (
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_sa/wg3_security/TSGS3_14_Oslo/Docs/PDF/S3-000421.pdf
)
3GPP Use IPSec to secure GTP messages (
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_sa/wg3_security/tsgs3_13_yokohama/docs/PDF/S3-000329.pdf
)

Maybe some other security-oriented feature you want to be implemented?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for your time,
Manuel