Public Osmocom User Manuals

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Mar 7 17:48:10 UTC 2016

Dear all,

some of you may have already seen it on the RSS feed, on Twitter or on
planet.osmocom.org[1]:  sysmocom has decided that we will re-release our
existing formerly sysmocom-internal User Manuals and VTY reference
manuals under GNU GFDL.

The hope is that with better documentation we can enable more people to
use Osmocom software more easily, leading to more adoption.

While those manuals are far from being complete or perfect, I had spent
a lot of time in February on further polishing them for the upcoming
public release.  I do believe they provide a better stasting point than
what all of what we had in the wiki (whether old trac or new redmine).

The manuals are written in asciidoc[2], with the occasional use of
mscgen[3] and graphviz[4], which I believe together are a pretty good
set of tools to very efficiently and productively work on documentation,
whilst focussing on actual content and not on formatting/syntax like
when using docbook-xml or LaTeX.

The osmo-gsm-manuals.git repository is pulled by our jenkins
installation, which then builds the PDF manuals and pushes them to
http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/

I seriously do hope that we will receive improvements and extensions for
the manuals.  As the asciidoc source is in yet another git repo, sending
patches is as easy as it gets.  Holger always states nobody ever
contributes to manuals, and I would love to prove him wrong ;)

In terms of overlapping information in the wiki and in the manuals: I'm
in favor (and in the process) of removing outdated old wiki command line
reference and VTY reference sections, and simply referring to the
manuals instead.

Please do read through the manuals and do send patches, whether it's a
spelling fix, improved wording, adding missing information or fixing
actual technical mistakes.

In tems of further dccumentation improvements, Holger has volunteered to
ensure that the Doxygen API of libosmocore is also automatically
generated+pushed in a similar fashion to make it publicly web-visible.
I'd also encurage everyone to contribute patches to covert those parts
of libosmocore.git that don't hve doxygen annotation yet.

Thanks in advance!

[1] http://projects.osmocom.org/news/47
[2] http://asciidoc.org/
[3] http://www.mcternan.me.uk/mscgen/