Support of 11 bit RACH support in osmoPCU

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Feb 26 13:53:47 UTC 2016

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 14:17, Prasad Kaup <Prasad.Kaup at radisys.com> wrote:
>
> Hello All,

Hi!

> We are currently working on providing the support of 11 bit RACH support  in osmoPCU  as mentioned in Bug #1548  athttps://projects.osmocom.org/projects/osmopcu/issues

great news!

> We have identified  impacts to be in  osmo-pcu, osmo-bts and osmocore
>
> Main changes identified are
> osmo-pcu:
> ·         In  file pcuif_proto.h,   modify “uint8_t ra” to “uint16_t ra”   in  struct  gsm_pcu_if_rach_ind
> ·         Corresponding function prototypes due to change in data type
> ·         11 bit RACH handling in bts.cpp
> ·         Changes in encoding.cpp to support  immediate assignment  with EGPRS allocation

* increase the version number of the protocol at the same time
* Add counters (if applicable) how often this extended method has been used
* Add unit tests (e.g. regression test for the encoding)
* If possible benchmark in a stable setting to see before/after changes

> osmocore:
> ·         In file l1sap.h,   modify “uint8_t ra” to “uint16_t ra”  in   structure “struct ph_rach_ind_param”
> ·         Function prototype changes

* This is changing the ABI of the structures, please look at the TODO-RELEASE file and previous comments. This reminds us that we need to increment the shared library version on the next release

> osmobts:
> ·         Function prototype changes due to change in data type

* Does osmo-trx support it? Does the sysmoBTS dsp code support it? What is needed for this functionality to be used? Does it make sense to report how many bits of the RACH were used (can we differentiate that?)

> Please let us know your valuable feedback.
> We plan to  have a separate branch from master for this development. Please let us know the procedure to do this.

Yes, please work in branches and split the commits into small pieces that are each easy to review.

kind regards
	holger