[osmocom-event-orga] 850 mhz, 2600 mhz, no 1800

Alexander 'lynxis' Couzens lynxis at fe80.eu
Thu Dec 12 16:48:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 23:09:51 +0100
Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:

> > How should we use the 850 band?
> > Should we use it for GSM? UMTS? Or both? Like GSM in the edges,
> > UMTS in the middle?
>
> I think for many participants, using the GSM with old phones is the
> modus operandi. Sure, many use dual-SIM smart phones, but from a
> point of view of allowing the most devices to participate, I would
> prefer to have 2G instead of only a 3G net. My plan is explicitly to
> again service voice to old phones that don't speak AMR, and
> completely switching off 2G would be a step in the opposite
> direction, probably a disappointment to many participants. It's sad
> to do it, but if we have to, let's rather switch off 3G.
>
> Much nicer would be to have spectrum for both. Can we try to ask
> around some more?

It's too late for that.
I'ven't heared back from Telekom, but given the date, I don't think we
can get anything this year.

> Did they say why they can't / will not allow it?

Yes. We seemed to be out-of-luck here. Telefonica changed in Q4/2019
their local spectrum usage. They use their complete 1800 spectrum for
one LTE carrier at 20 Mhz.

> Seems to me that limited use inside Leipzig Messe for a few days
> hardly interferes with their network...

That worked last year, they allowed us to use it with limited power.
We can not speak for our guest, if they misuse the spectrum. But we can
not allow official misuse in there. We're there as part of the
congress, if we misuse, we will loose the access to spectrum and our
good reputation.

Sorry, no 1800 this year.

> Would you like me to help with that, does it make sense if I also try
> to contact operators somehow, or would it just interfere with your
> contacts? ... I have no idea how I would reach the right people, but
> I could certainly try.

I think it's too late for this year. However, we should be well
coordinated if we talk with companies.

For Telefonica, we already have a good and helpful contact, so I would
not like to ask them from another side.

For Deutsche Telekom, we should talk to Frank first. Maybe he can tell
us or ask, why we didn't got it. If it's possible to improve.

For Vodafone, do we have a contact there? I remember at one of the
congress in Hamburg, they gave us the frequencies. Maybe Harald can
tell us more?

Best,
lynxis

PS: The frequencies and who licenses what
https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Sachgebiete/Telekommunikation/Unternehmen_Institutionen/Frequenzen/OffentlicheNetze/Mobilfunk/DrahtloserNetzzugang/Projekt2016/Frequenzen700bis1800_pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=3

--
Alexander Couzens

mail: lynxis at fe80.eu
jabber: lynxis at fe80.eu
gpg: 390D CF78 8BF9 AA50 4F8F  F1E2 C29E 9DA6 A0DF 8604