[osmocom-event-orga] update from POC

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Tue Nov 6 15:06:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

> But my general feeling with all SDR solutions is "too flaky to be fun", so
> won't push in that direction.

My experiences with SDRs are quite positive. Especially small cells covering
only one or two rooms work quite good, even without duplexer, and only with
two rabbit ear TX/RX antennae. Even a RasPi 3B is powerful enough to run a
nice cell with two ARFCNs for voice and GPRS and a BladeRF SDR as TRX.

With the LimeSDR I only played with narrow band stuff like osomocom-analog,
but this also runs very stable on a RasPi, delivering stable analog cell
coverage over days without any issues. Should be not so different with GSM.

About this 850 MHz assignment, what ARFCNs are officially available? I do my
private tests (carefully) on license free channels, as close as possible to
the SRD regulations for downlink (for example 869.8 MHz or so), and after
all the uplink anyway is somehow a wireless mic, isn't it?! :)))

> ~N

Ralph.