[osmocom-event-orga] 34c3 congress gsm network / AfRA 9.12. 14:00

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 6 12:11:07 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 01:52:11PM +0100, Alexander Couzens wrote:
> We manage to get a UMTS license in the 850 band (5mhz, 5watt)!

The plan here is to deploy an experimental 3G/3.5G network by using a
number  of nano3G femtocells to get some idea how well the Osmocom stack
can deal at all in such situations.  There are many unknowns, as the
Osmocom 3G stack and a setup with nano3G has never been used [to our
knowledge] in such as setting.  So at this point we cannot assume more
than that it will crash, and give us lots of bugs to find in our code.

> We don't have a GSM license yet, but it looks good.

It appears there will be 3 ARFCN in the 1800 MHz band we can use.  But
only those three, not more.  The license still has to be issued, but the
primary licensee (operator) has apparently confirmed we can use those
three.