[osmocom-event-orga] Update on 33C3 GSM network plans

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Dec 18 14:25:49 UTC 2016

Let's try again; I sent some emails back in November but apparently
they never reached the list. I assumed that mailman just would not
send me my own mails, but unfortunately noone else got them either. :\

Harald Welte wrote:
> Please coordinate amongst each other here on the list and see who can do
> what.

I arrive at CCH either evening of the 25th or morning of the 26th,
and will then start the usual process to get the GSM server set up
at NOC colocation and sort out the VLAN situation at least for room 12.

We share room 12 with POC backoffice this year, the room will be
available starting on the 25th, but not before.

This means that we should not expect to use all of the access switch.

Please bring a VLAN capable switch if you have one, and if you are
new to the GSM operation then it's helpful to prepare so that VLANs
are working reliably on your laptop before CCH.

Experience shows that NOC is busy with switch deployment well into
the 26th, which is a blocker for BTS deployment. BTSes can however be
prepared, configured and tested beforehand.

Like Harald I can help as liaison during setup as well as for corner
cases during the event.

But I can't help much with actual operations during the event. Depending
on ambition, it's good to have someone watching OpenBSC all the time.

I can present results and statistics in the Infrastructure Review talk
on the last day, but I will depend on someone else for gathering the
statistics from operation.

If someone else wants to do that presentation then please feel free!
If not then I'm happy to do it. I only ask to please let me know
before the 28th if you would like to do it.

The eventphone system has been online for about a month without GSM
extensions. If there will indeed be a network, and POC interop is
desired, then I would like to let them know before the event.

> = Equipment =
>
> * BTSs were offered from Daniel Brune
> * few (2-3) can also be provided by sysmocom

* Antennas ?
* Amps (2W EIRP in license) ?

I am looking into a possible source of ip.access equipment, but have
nothing to report yet.

I invited some people who do fully open source LTE but they were
unable to attend. Maybe good, since we only got a few ARFCNs.

> * BSC/NITB box: please check with Peter for the machine used in the
>   past years

It comes online between late night 25th and noon 26th.

> = Frequencies =

In the end we got five: 1736,8 1737,2 1737,6 1738,0 and 1738,4 MHz

ARFCN = 512+(f-1710.2)/0.2, so that's ARFCNs 645, 647, 649, 651 and 653.

> * we hve some 500-800 sim cards from former events left at sysmocom
>   which can be used

That's good! I had forgotten about those.

> * there should be a public call to everyone to bring cards from former
>   events

I think it depends on the ambition and desired load. I would like to
coordinate with POC first, to hear what they have to say about interop,
since guru is already open without GSM.

> * we also have more than 4000 sysmocom-labelled cards in stock, but I
>   don't like the idea to seem like sysmocom is doing advertisement at
>   the event.

I for one do not find it acceptable to take money for these cards,
and I don't like how it looks to distribute them very openly.

But if sysmocom wants to donate some of them at their own discretion
to participants who are otherwise unable to do some experiments once
all old congress cards are sold out, then I think that's absolutely
fantastic and another very valuable contribution, but other than that
I do not really want to use them.

> = Wiki =

First step IMO coordinate with POC. I'll send them an email now.

//Peter