30C3 aftermath

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Thu Jan 2 19:10:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

> This can be done when a GPS signal is available, but we're in-building, so I tend to agree that this is too hard to do.

Should be easy to have a wired (off the shelf) or wireless (maybe has to be built) clock distribution.

> The idea is that we can deliberately share some ARFCN between two closely located frequency-hopping cells. Then, if both cells are loaded
> and use those ARFCNs, signal will be degraded due to interference. But if one cell is under-loaded and other is fully loaded, then those
> ARFCNs will be used by the loaded cell with little to no quality degradation.

In commercial installations it is even accepted that sometimes a burst gets lost. So capacity is increase by deliberately allowing collisions between the most distant stations, as usually FM suppression effect is good enough to avoid the collision.

> This is based on the fact, that frequency hopping is following a pseudo-random pattern. Thus if two calls share 1 ARFCN out of N, it'll lead
> to "some" degradation of quality, which might be tolerable, as we have good quality coverage at the CCH.

Yep.

> --
> Regards,
> Alexander Chemeris.