30C3 aftermath

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Thu Jan 2 11:57:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

> If we make smaller cells, this would mean that the BTSs would be
> * PoE powered
> * have no PA/LNA
> * operate with reduced tx power (20mW?) and high rxlev_access_min
> * use directly attached small rubber antennas

I can confirm that this works just fine for GSM1800 with its 95 MHz spacing between up and down. This is the way I am using my USRP1 with WBX TRX board, about 50mW out. The antennae (I am using some cheap dlock commercial UMTS/LTE antennae) must be in 90 degree angle, "rabbit ear" style, otherwise about 20 dB are lost in the RX by desensing / overload, so it is only usable when no one can touch and rearrange the antennae, and when there is some space around them, to avoid increased RX/TX coupling.

My setup can easily cover up to 200 m range on LOS, it is great for covering one up to maybe three rooms in a building. The house I live in, four story building, is 100% covered (I live on the 2nd floor, third in US counting style), and abt. 100 m up and down the road still connection is possible.

> Regards,
> 	Harald

Ralph.