GSM at OHM2013

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 21:59:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

> We'll have at least one opportunity to run the Nokia MetroSite (which
> we used at CCC Camp two years ago) before OHM, and my hope is that we
> can make use of some more powerful radio hardware, MetroSite, BS-11,
> and/or SysmoBTS+SysmoAMP, at least for one or two main sites, and
> perhaps add smaller sites to handle any gaps in coverage. Building
> the backbone is high effort.

Yeah, I'm definitely with you there, I'd try to put two large site
using multi-trx high power Metro Site and omnis.
We have the small cavity duplexers so you could even use those with
the metrosite.

We had a pretty good coverage at CCC camp AFAIR, so that should even
be enough. We can maybe run an additional sysmobts + amp at our tent
so we can load test it. But indeed trying to go place small nanobts or
sysmobts in an outside open environment is not something I would be
looking forward to.

As for OpenBTS, we then really need to find a way to run both network
at once and have them cooperate properly at all levels. Switching back
and forth at 29c3 was
acceptable as a first try but it's not something I would be keen to
repeat, just creates confusion for the user. (and implementing the
*#100# USSD on openbts should also be done for consistency).

Cheers,

    Sylvain