GSM at OHM2013

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jan 25 20:11:51 UTC 2013

Jean-Samuel Najnudel - BJT PARTNERS wrote:
> It seems it is escpecially easy to get a GSM license in the Netherlands, at
> least if the DECT guard band part of the DCS 1800 is fine for us and if we
> accept to limit our transmission power.
> http://www.druidsoftware.com/news-low-power-gsm-progress.html

While good news in general, for an outdoor setup over a largeish area
I'm not too keen on using 200mW equipment, the number of sites
required to have good coverage will be rather high, and each site
needs power and connectivity.

We'll have at least one opportunity to run the Nokia MetroSite (which
we used at CCC Camp two years ago) before OHM, and my hope is that we
can make use of some more powerful radio hardware, MetroSite, BS-11,
and/or SysmoBTS+SysmoAMP, at least for one or two main sites, and
perhaps add smaller sites to handle any gaps in coverage. Building
the backbone is high effort.

//Peter