OpenBSC / OpenBTS integration

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:24:25 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvain,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Sylvain Munaut <246tnt at gmail.com> wrote:
> If both system are to be deployed and be seamless for the user, I
> guess they're going to broadcast the same MCC/MNC as we always do.
>
> Now two cases are possibles:
>
>  * We use distinct LAC: This means we need to somehow keep track on
> what phone is where and have someway to route calls / SMS
> appropriately
>  * We use the same LAC: We just send each requests (call/sms) to both
> systems, they each initiate paging and whoever respond to the SIP call
> is the winner I guess.

OpenBTS has to have different LAC for each BTS, so only the first way
is possible. OpenBTS needs LURs to update registration tables for its
softswitch and smqueue - otherwise it doesn't know where to send
paging and we don't support paging on multiple BTS'es at the moment.

> In any case there is probably some work to be done there as well since
> both system will have to operate from the same HLR (things like the
> cipher key sequence and last auth tupe would need to be in sync all
> the time).

Well, we could just have two copies of HLR in different formats. I
don't think it's changed frequently at CCC?

> For SMSes however there is no external layer in osmo-nitb AFAIK ...

Could we write to the OpenBSC SMS DB to send transfer messages from
OpenBTS to OpenBSC?

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru