29C3 osmo-nitb sprint and issues

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun Oct 14 19:50:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

as indicated in the previous mail there are some things to be done
before we get to the venue. I would like to experiment with sprints
to solve some of the stability issues we had with osmo-nitb.

The idea is that we assemble (physically or online) and work on some
specific issues of osmo-nitb that impact the quality of service for
the upcoming event. I can provide food and snacks during these sprints
and guidance on OpenBSC code.

The first sprint is scheduled for the 9th, 10th (and maybe 11th) of
November. There is no venue for it yet, maybe the CCCB. Please indicate
if you are interested to join.

The general list of osmo-nitb issues are:

* Channel release process. There is a branch I created at the last
  congress but I have never tested it. This includes making a SAPI=3
  local release, using the proper timeouts for the abnormal release
  making sure the SACCH is deactivated and some more issues. This
  requires quite a bit of testing.

* Allow to block/unblock failing lchans. We have had this issue with
  Nokia BTS but it can happen on other BTS as well. E.g. a given
  timeslot might not be allocatable, or we get LCHAN ACT NACK. In that
  case OpenBSC should block the lchan.

* smsqueue/auth/paths. In the past years we have seen that the smsqueue
  and other parts can get stuck because of the 'subscr_get_con' not
  being properly called in all error conditions. We need to review the
  code and check how things get stuck.

* Handover testing and patching out the 'timestamp' adjusting or
  fixing it. Right now it can be used to add a lot of delay by switching
  cells.

cheers
	holger