Kick-off for the 29C3

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun Oct 14 19:39:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

another year, another congress, another OpenBSC installation. There
are some changes though. The most noticable one is that we are at a
new venue and this has various implications.

* A lot more space to cover and challenges to radio planning. How many
  BTS do we need? Would we use a dual TRX setup? Only in some rooms?
  Can we cheat and use an amplifier? What kind of patch-work equipment
  do we get?

* I wanto to have increased stability at this congress. We are mostly
  using the nitb for the congress setup and there are various bugs that
  I would like to address before. I believe it is time we offer GSM as
  a reliable service. This does not mean there is no room for experiments
  but they need to be planned and scheduled. E.g. experiments with tsunami
  warnings, GPRS at night.. etc.

* Some increased logistic issues. We really need to plan what we need
  and how we get this transported to Hamburg and the CCH. All the small
  things like boxes of patch cables, routers, screws, locks, belts...

I have started this wiki page[1] to track our requirements. The basic
idea is we have a task and someone that is responsible for executing it
or if he starts to drop it.. officially return the task.

cheers
	holger

[1] http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/FieldTests/29c3