Anyone still using mISDN for OpenBSC / OsmoBSC / OsmoMGW ?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 8 12:58:17 UTC 2021

Dear Osmocom users,

the Linux kernel developers are considering to remove mISDN from the
kernel, as can be seen in posts like
https://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=163636911918302&w=2

They are aware that Osmocom still supports mISDN, but it would of course
be interesting if anyone is actually still using this approach.

I've switched to DAHDI a long time ago (4- and 8-port cards for PCIe
available) and only used mISDN very early on with the HFC-E1 in the
2008-2011 timeframe.

These days, I'm using both DAHDI and icE1usb.

IMHO, mISDN based interface cards are becomming less and less
attractive, as the chips only support parallel PCI bus and I've never
seen cards with more than two ports.

So the point of this post is to find out if anyone still is using
[or planning to use] mISDN.  If so, please let me, netdev + Anrd Bergmann
know about it.

Basically it is kind of a "speak now or forever hold your peace" kind of
moment, as mISDN would then likely be phased out from mainline Linux.

Even in that case I think libosmo-abis should keep mISDN support, as
there will be Linux systems on older kernels for many years to come, and
the mISDN support doesn't hurt the rest of our code base in any way.