OsmoDevCon 2022 ?

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Sat Nov 6 09:21:09 UTC 2021

Hi Keith,

On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 11:55:39AM -0600, Keith wrote:

> Great Kevin, Thanks. This is something not touched upon yet, other than
> assuming that as always, talks would be recorded for consumption by the
> wider community.

As usual, this is up to the individual speaker[s].

> I assume also that adding some text or video remote
> participation will also not be beyond us. At least for Q&A, Engel - style.

At the very least we can of course simply use #osmocom as channel to ask
questions via text.  But we can certainly also consider running a BBB or
Jitsi session for Q+A.

> Something that occurs to me, but it's not a personal preference,
> attendance is highly unlikely - but is there any reason to plan for late
> April, other than tradition?

Not really anything beyond tradition and "let's not delay it any
further".  For logistical reasons, it is also good to stay clear of both
easter and whitsun school holidays [hotels / flights will be more busy
then].  So April 11 .. 23 and May 27 .. June 7 should be avoided in 2022.

My current target would have been April 30 .. May 2nd timeframe.

But I'm not fundamentally opposed to a change of schedule, if there are
more people arguing for that, particularly those wanting to attend in
person.

> The few degrees of higher ambient temperature that are likely in late,
> or even mid May would seem to make ventilation so much easier. - My
> preferred venue - OUTSIDE! Remember those days at MarienStr when the
> sun came out, that was great!

IMHO Outdoor is unrealistic for a variety of reasons, if not only for
being able to have sufficient contrast for following a presentation on a
projected screen.  Obviously, there's also weather uncertainty, so you
cannot plan an event outdoor.  Other than putting up large tents, which
then also doesn't really help ventilation...

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/