Question about establishing stable internet link between UE and HNB connected to our developed network core.

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 20:37:33 UTC 2021

Hi Morteza,

This may be a silly question, but my most immediate and most natural
reaction to your inquiry is a little different from Harald's.
Harald's response focuses on the notion that FLOSS communities like
Osmocom should not be helping proprietary software developers/users,
but I see an even more fundamental question in need of answering: just
*why* are you implementing your own SGSN, as opposed to using already
existing OsmoSGSN+OsmoHNBGW?  If you consider the existing Osmocom
implementation to be poor and prefer to write your own alternative
mostly from scratch (I am often guilty of the exact same behaviour: I
just wrote from scratch my own suite of tools for programming SIM
cards instead of improving Osmocom community's existing pySim tools),
then why are you not releasing your own alternative version as
Published Source Software?  Perhaps I missed it, but I never saw you
post a link to the source for your alternative SGSN.

Just trying to understand,
Mother Mychaela

P.S. Published Source Software (PSS) is my preferred term for ALL
software whose source code is freely published on the Internet by the
authors or maintainers of the sw in question, regardless of whether it
is under a free license or not - thus it is a more expansive category
than FLOSS.  FLOSS is a proper subset of PSS.