Bringing back GrcardSIM2

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:11:38 UTC 2021

Hi Harald,

> AFAICT there never was any documentation from GRcard, everything had to
> be reverse engineered from their proprietary windows programming software.

Aha, so instead of docs you got their proprietary sw.  I never got the
latter, but then I never asked them for it, as I was using the Osmocom
wiki page and pySim code as my starting-point sources of knowledge.
Now I need to ask Grcard for a copy of the same Winblows sw they gave
you, so I can play with it, see what settings it allows to be
programmed, and then see what it actually writes to the card.  A
couple of questions regarding this Grcard programming sw:

* Do you know if WinXP is good enough for it, or if it needs something
newer?  I have an air-gapped WinXP machine which I set up a couple of
years ago for similar purpose of knowledge extraction from proprietary
sw - in that case the proprietary sw was TI CCS and the knowledge to
be extracted was Calypso JTAG.

* Does their sw work with USB CCID readers, or does it require a
Phoenix-style serial reader instead?  In either case, what drivers or
other extra gunk does it require besides a bare Windows installation
and Grcard sw itself?

> When they at some point started to ship cards with pre-installed SIM
> toolkit applets that we never ordered, sysmocom ceased all contact
> with that supplier.

Ouch!  How did you discover the presence of those pre-installed STK
applets, i.e., what was the visible symptom?  Were the cards telling
phones to add STK menus?  So far I have tried inserting one of the
sample cards I got into Mot C139 and Pirelli DP-L10 phones, both
running their respective original firmwares, and on neither phone did
I see anything STK-originating added to their menu structure.  I have
not yet tried inserting one of these cards into a board running UI-
enabled FreeCalypso fw - I have tested a card in an FCDEV3B and proved
it working (AT command modem), but I haven't tried the UI-enabled
version yet.

M~