PySim-shell: File not found errors

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Mon Jun 7 06:38:54 UTC 2021

Dear Mychaela,

On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 12:56:23PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> I strongly condemn the current policy of all currently available SIM
> card vendors (both Grcard and Sysmocom) where they refuse to disclose
> the necessary knowledge to allow individual downstream card owners to
> freely reformat their file system, even if it means low-level flash
> reformatting and CardOS image reloading etc.

I believe the sysmocom SIM card products are the most open/accessible SIM
card products in the market - and that with a large distance to the classic
suppliers of SIM cards.  I also believe it is the maximum currently
possible open-ness within that market, considering the highly
proprietary nature of all known smart card ICs as well as card operating
systems.

We once were playing with the idea of a FOSS card operating system
(osmo-cos) based on a relatively well documented chinse smart card IC
(CC32RS512).  However, it never really went anywhere before the chips
started to become unavailable.

You are most welcome to create any more open/accessible SIM card products,
I would certainly appreciate that.  If such products existed, we would
have never needed to create the sysmoUSIM/sysmoISIM products and could
focus on open source software development.

> This feature already exists in fc-uicc-tool in my fc-sim-tools suite,
> my competitor to pySim:

Please note that I do not see any "competition" in any of the projects
you work on.  Those are different projects, with as far as I can tell
rather different goals.  There may be some amount of overlap for some
use cases.  For those overlapping use cases I would consider
"alternative" an appropriate term.  For all other use cases they are
complimentary.

The Osmocom project does not engage in "competition".  We do what we do,
people can like it, dislike it, use it, or create alternatives as they
please.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/