SMPP Alert Notifications

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Thu Jan 14 14:53:14 UTC 2021

Hi Keith,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:25:12AM -0600, Keith wrote:
> SMPP specifies only three status possibilities:
>
> 0 = Available
>
> 1 = Disabled
>
> 2 = Not Available (Detaching)
>
> I've added 3 for IMSI_ATTACH - Actually I ended up using != PERIODIC
> because not all phones send an ATTACH after a DETACH, some send NORMAL LUR.

I think it might make sense to add a new IE/TLV as a sub-type of "Available",
this way I would think it's more compatible to other implementations as
additional IEs are typically simply ignored.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced your !=PERIODIC will do what you want, as NORMAL
will also happen between location areas, so neither ATTACH nor PERIODIC.

One idea is to add logic to osmo-msc to distinguish whether this really
was a new subscriber that was previously unknown to the MSC (and Then send "Available"),
or simply send no SMPP notifiation at all if the subscriber was previously already
known to osm-msc.  This way no protocol changes need to be introduced at all.

The alternative would be to add a new, non-standard IE whihc just passes the LU type
transparently through.

> do we want/accept this functionality in master osmo-msc?

I think either of the two ideas I outlined above could go master.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/