SMPP Alert Notifications

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Wed Jan 13 07:25:12 UTC 2021

Hi Osmocom Community.

I'd like to extend the SMPP protocol alert notifications to be able to
differentiate between IMSI_ATTACH, NORMAL and PERIODIC LURs

The reason is to be able to react to an initial attach by sending a
"Welcome" SMS.

SMPP specifies only three status possibilities:

0 = Available

1 = Disabled

2 = Not Available (Detaching)

I've added 3 for IMSI_ATTACH - Actually I ended up using != PERIODIC
because not all phones send an ATTACH after a DETACH, some send NORMAL LUR.

With this the ESME can respond to an alert notification that has status
3 by looking up the IMSI to see if it's known/autorised etc (this is
outside of osmo-hlr in my use case, although I guess it could also be
done by checking what the HLR says inside the MSC)

Anyway.. I'm wondering if anybody else ever did this, and do we
want/accept this functionality in master osmo-msc?

Or.. any better ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

k/