Support for new SDR devices

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Sep 11 21:00:22 UTC 2020

Hi Xaver,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 08:09:16PM +0200, Xaver Zu wrote:
> Is it possible in its current form to have it in any branch?

I would prefer not to have it in a branch of the official repository.

> Can it at least stay in the gerrit?

I see no problem with having it in gerrit.  I will add a related review
comment that the patch was rejected due to licensing concerns.   I don't
think copyright prevents us from publicly documenting our development
process and reltaed decisions.

> Could I solve this with an open source (GPL) reimplementation of that
> library?

Yes.  But, as other people stated, it is likely a significant effort,
and there are other SDR devices that ship with fully open source
software, sometimes not only software but even FPGA gateware or even
open source hardware.

By all means, don't let me discourage you from implementing an open
source alternative to that library.  I just think there are other
SDR devices available, which most likely have a much larger user base
(at least in terms of FOSS projects like Osmocom, srsLTE, ...)