libosmocore: macOS support?

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Wed Oct 14 18:13:29 UTC 2020

Hi Ludovic,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:01:52PM +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> I try to build utils/osmo-sim-test.c on macOS.
> For that I need to build the complete libosmocore project.
>
> Any interest in macOS support (even partial & unofficial support)?

in general we are happy to merge patches for support of any OS, as long as there is
somebody willing to create, contribute and maintain them.  We used to e.g. have
FreeBSD support, but in absence of anyone interested in it, we removed them, as it
created too much extra work for the developers/maintainers at the time.

> I already patched/hacked some source code file to make them compile on macOS but now the compiler fails on src/vty/cpu_sched_vty.c because cpu_set_t is Linux-specific.
> The problem is that src/vty/cpu_sched_vty.c contains *a lot* of use of cpu_set_t usage.

I think the best approach would be to simply detect the support for cpuset_t during configure,
and then conditionally compile the entire file only if configure detected support for it.

This way, the related symbols provided by cpu_sched_vty.c are not available on some platforms
like macOS, but as long as the given application doesn't use them, it will work.

> I am pretty sure utils/osmo-sim-test.c will not need the functions defined in cpu_sched_vty.c.

that is correct.  This feature is only used by the 'large' osmocom
programs like osmo-bts, osmo-trx, ... in order to configure the most
optimal CPU scheduling.

> Is it possible to build utils/osmo-sim-test.c without building the complete libosmocore project?

Not today.

If you'd like, go ahead and work on patches to enable/disable cpuset_t
related support at 'configure' time, and submit them via gerrit, see
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit

Thanks,
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/