[Proposal] VTY attributes in libraries

Vadim Yanitskiy vyanitskiy at sysmocom.de
Mon Oct 5 17:12:44 UTC 2020

Hi Philipp,

On 10/5/20 10:17 PM, Philipp Maier wrote:

> I understand a,b,c,c1,d,d1 but I am a bit lost at e and e1.

it's just an implementation detail that should not affect the process of
adding attributes.  I came up with the implementation, maybe it would be
easier to understand looking at the code:

https://gerrit.osmocom.org/c/libosmocore/+/20440 vty/command: add
CMD_ATTR_LIB_COMMAND and install() API wrappers
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/c/libosmocore/+/20447 vty: introduce API for
the library specific attributes

In other words, vty_dump_element() needs to know whether a given command
is a library command or it belongs to an application.  Thanks to
CMD_ATTR_LIB_COMMAND, this function can print proper attribute
description and flag letter (if present).

We don't want to equip each DEFUN() in libraries with this attribute
*manually*, so that's why I came up with install_lib_element() and
install_lib_element_ve().  Patches are in Gerrit.

> btw.: In libosmo-sccp there is one situation where the changes take
> effect when the VTY node is exited. At least this is generic enough to
> justify a CMD_ATTR_NODEEXIT.

ACK, I'll add this one as a global attribute.  I am pretty sure we can
benefit from having this attribute globally some day.

Best regards,
Vadim.

--
- Vadim Yanitskiy <vyanitskiy at sysmocom.de>    http://www.sysmocom.de/