Understanding GSM BTS Tx power levels

Tomcsányi, Domonkos domi at tomcsanyi.net
Fri Nov 20 08:18:18 UTC 2020

Hi Mychaela,

Your concerns are understandable given what happened e.g. in Australia
earlier (they switched of 2G completely). However the current trend
amongst operators seems to be keeping 2G and 4G while switching off
3G. 3G turned out to be the worst technology for carriers, because it
does not have good coverage for simple voice calls and also it is
quite cumbersome to operate while data rates are inadequate for
today's subscribers. So this means 2G is kept for good coverage, basic
voice service and 4G is kept for high data rates, assisting 5G in
coverage etc.
Some coverage about this in the news:
https://www.vodafoneziggo.nl/en/verhalen/end-3g-era/
https://www.telekom.com/en/media/media-information/archive/bye-bye-3g-now-lte-is-coming-for-everyone-608220

Of course in the US the situation might be different because of
frequency allocation differences, nevertheless I'd still place my bets
on 2G staying with us for a long time. Naturally you are free to do
whatever you wish, and having a BTS at home is great in many cases
even if commercial service is available as well. I just wanted to
chime in on the discussion about 2Gs possible future not trying to
change your mind.
I only have limited knowledge about BTS ranges, one time I tried to
operate a BTS with an SDR board (USRP B200) and you could probably
guess how bad it was :) - inaccurate clock, almost no TX power,
resulting in a mighty 5m or ~6yards :). With a good clock source and
an amplifier though I think even with an SDR one could have good
ranges, however the burden of operating a complete PC just for
handling the SDR makes buying a nano/sysmoBTS much more attractive.

Kind regards,
Domi