openBSC with commercial BTS

Michael Andersen mia at mob5g.net
Wed Aug 19 08:43:57 UTC 2020

Hi Ivan,

Yes, we developed an adaption layer between Nokia IUA (packet Abis) and Osmo BSC. This was working well enough for basic signaling and 1st call.

However, we abandoned that design when we realized that we would have a lot of work, fixes and refactoring to do in the Osmo BSC to support the scalability of the Nokia platform. In the Nokia Flexi 2G architecture, TRXes and most other resources of the BTS are defined and instantiated based on signaling instructions from the BSC.

We developed our own 2G mobile core from scratch and we’re quite happy with it. It has already been commercially launched in a live, nationwide network.

I can send you a copy of the adaption layer if you’re interested. It may be able to bring your BTS online – but you will likely find that the path is generally a bit futile.

Best Regards,

Michael Andersen

mob5g.net