Docker containers.

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Sat Apr 25 17:48:42 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 04:48:13PM +0100, Andrew Back wrote:

> With many layers and inheritance I can see how this could be problematic
> without tooling that provides comprehensive coverage, but saying e.g.
> Debian based image + src1 + src2 .. etc. would not be sufficient?

Do you have a tool to provide the "complete corresponding source code" to a given
"Debian bsaed image"?  Specifically, a tool that is capable of producing
this source code for every of your container image builds that you may have
created during the past 3 years (you may not even have that binary image around anymore)?

Because that's what license compliance takes, as those three years after last
distribution is the period during which you must provide the complete and corresponding
sources.

So until there is easy tooling to automatize this, I don't think there is
a way to safely provide container images.

> Debian publish official images to Docker Hub, so perhaps I would benefit
> from taking a look at their approach to this also.

It would be interesting, indeed.

However, even if Debian provided the CCS (complete+corrsponding source)
to every of their image/layer builds, passing along that written offer
of a third party (such as Debian) to provide the source is nothing we
can do, at least not from servers operated by and paid for by sysmocom,
a for-profit entity.  The GPLv2 Section 2c exception for noncommercial
distribution hence doesn't apply, i.e. we would be directly responsible for
providing the complete and corresponding source for each build of each
image/layer we ever publish.

Osmocom is a project about open source mobile communications software,
and we are creating + distributing our own software.  We provide source
and binary packages for a variety of distributions/releases, instructions how to
build from source as well as Dockerfiles and Ansible playbooks on how to
automatically build/install the software.  I think that shipping
container or VM images is out of scope.  We have plenty of issues within
the core scope of our projects to work on (1004 open issues on
osmocom.org at the point of this writing), and I'd suggest we focus on that.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/