OSMO SMSc functionality

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Mar 23 06:14:03 UTC 2019

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 09:31:14PM +0000, Alex Alwin Thomas wrote:
> Unfortunately the testing scenario we want to try is to have a sperate MSC instance from another vendor , hence we cannot use the Osmo MSC .

I see.  In terms of open source options, I think it would boil down to
then write some SMSC emulation either using:

a) the TCAP/MAP stack Holger wrote in Smalltalk
b) the TCAP/MAP stack of Mobicents (Java, I have no experiene with it),
c) the signerl Erlang TCAP/MAP stack of Vance Shipley and myself (not so
   production ready but should be sufficient for some tests
d) using TCAP + MAP from within TTCN-3 / Eclipse TITAN

I don't know much about option 'b'.  I would argue that 'a' or 'c' are
the more likely candidates. 'd' seems cumbersome as the TCAP state
machines are not yet implemented.

However, in any of the above, I would expect quite a bit of develpoment
effort is required to get to the goal of emulating the SMSC (I'm not
sure if one man-week would be sufficient).

> We have already tested the SG interworking between Amarisoft EPC and Osmo MSC,both MO/MT CSFB SMS was working fine.

This is great.  We're just about to set this up at the sysmocom office
for interop testing ourselves.