tagging new versions / problems

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Sat Jan 19 15:56:43 UTC 2019

Hi.

19.01.19 00:24, Harald Welte пишет:
> I've been looking at tagging new versions of our libraries.  I know Pau
> in the past already used the abi-{dumper,tracer,...} toolkit, but I couldn't
> find any instructions about it, nor has it been automatized it seems.

Maybe we could integrate it into 'make release' helper of libosmocore?

> gsm0808_cause_name() changes the size of the argumetn from uint8_t to an
> 'int' that may be 32/64bit in size :( That breaks ABI, so we need to
> bump soversion, or revert that change.  As the gsup changes require a
> version bump anyway, we should be fine.

In general, is there particular reason why we wouldn't want to bump
soversion when making new release? Unless it's a minor bugfix release of
course but so far we haven't bothered with those AFAIK.

I've tried to add some general notes to
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Make_a_new_release
but there's still plenty of room for improvement. In general I thought
that releasing new library version is the perfect opportunity to update
soversion as well.

> gsm0808_create_lcls_conn_ctrl() has changed its argument type.  Are we
> sure there were no users of the function?

The only user I know of is OsmoBSC v1.3.0 which is part of several
repositories according to
https://repology.org/metapackage/osmo-bsc/versions - shall we change the
function name or bumping soversion will take care of ABI incompatibility?

 From reading old paper by Ulrich Drepper [1] the latter seems to be the
case. If I'm missing something than we should document it by expanding
our release wiki [2].

> In libosmocore we have some problem related to 'struct log_target':
> http://people.osmocom.org/laforge/abi-report/compat_report/libosmocore/0.12.1/current/4981a/abi_compat_report.html
> I suppose this is "only" ABI breakage but not API breakage and hence a
> new libversion can rescue us?

I'm confused by this: I thought that API breakage is taken care by new
release version while ABI breakage is handle with new libversion?

> Feel free to comment.  The most important part is to get the
> libosmocore/LCLS questions resolved.

Let me know if I should make a patch which will covert ABI breakage into
new API by adding gsm0808_create_lcls_conn_ctrl2() for example.

[1] https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

[2]
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Make_a_new_release

--