tagging new versions / problems

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jan 18 23:24:32 UTC 2019

Hi!

I've been looking at tagging new versions of our libraries.  I know Pau
in the past already used the abi-{dumper,tracer,...} toolkit, but I couldn't
find any instructions about it, nor has it been automatized it seems.

I've now started with this and have a setup that we can run nightly to generate
ABI/API compatibility reports.

There are unfortunately some issues in libosmogsm:

http://people.osmocom.org/laforge/abi-report/compat_report/libosmocore/0.12.1/current/2acae/abi_compat_report.html

related to LCLS changes that (I believe) were mostly introduced by Max.

gsm0808_cause_name() changes the size of the argumetn from uint8_t to an
'int' that may be 32/64bit in size :( That breaks ABI, so we need to
bump soversion, or revert that change.  As the gsup changes require a
version bump anyway, we should be fine.

gsm0808_create_lcls_conn_ctrl() has changed its argument type.  Are we
sure there were no users of the function?  The old signature was part of
the previous release!

In libosmocore we have some problem related to 'struct log_target':
http://people.osmocom.org/laforge/abi-report/compat_report/libosmocore/0.12.1/current/4981a/abi_compat_report.html
I suppose this is "only" ABI breakage but not API breakage and hence a
new libversion can rescue us?

In libgtp we also have changes requiring a libveersion change:
http://people.osmocom.org/laforge/abi-report/compat_report/osmo-ggsn/1.2.2/current/8784f/abi_compat_report.html

Apart from that, it looks quite fine. libosmo-sigtran has two new
symbols, but remains fully backwwards compatible:
http://people.osmocom.org/laforge/abi-report/compat_report/libosmo-sccp/0.10.0/current/1268e/abi_compat_report.html#Added

Feel free to comment.  The most important part is to get the
libosmocore/LCLS questions resolved.