osmo-hlr db upgrade behavior poll

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jan 15 16:10:22 UTC 2019

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 05:12:58PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> when reviewing osmo-hlr db schema upgrades, I came up with the idea that we
> shouldn't upgrade automatically. That's why, for schema updates, osmo-hlr now
> refuses to start and requires one start with the --db-upgrade option.
>
> Our systemd service file does not include that option.
>
> The result is that after an upgraded osmo-hlr binary, admins may have to take
> extra action to upgrade the DB.
>
> The rationale is that if someone by accident launches a newer osmo-hlr only
> once, with automatic upgrade the user is then stuck with the newer version DB,
> since we don't make a backup and we don't provide a downgrade path.

I think this is in-line with how other applications handle database schema upgrades.

I frequently have the same steps whenever I am updating software we run on osmocom.org,
such as e.g. our redmne instances.

> In the lack of strong opinions, this will probably stay as it is. I'd just like
> to hear what you guys think about it. Is it annoying or a good idea?

I think the current beavior is fine.  I just don't recall having seen any
related information in the manual, please verify.