A ramble about MSC, sip-connector and asterisk.

Gullik Webjorn gullik.webjorn at corevalue.se
Mon Jan 14 22:34:19 UTC 2019

Hi Neels,

On 2019-01-14 15:04, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Hi Gullik,
>
> what is up with your email client? It seems to insert two line feeds every 100
> characters or so. I've never seen such weird flow as in your mails. Harder to
> follow your sentences when they break in the middle.
This is Thunderbird on Ubuntu, my "office" laptop. I will see if I can
fix it.
> Using external PBX is not trivial, and as soon as you do, all local call
> switching in osmo-msc is switched off.
>
> In general, using osmo-sip-connector works; what is not satisfactory yet is the
> codec negotiation. Sadly, so far the easiest solution is to hardcode a payload
> type number into osmo-sip-connector and clamp everything to one specific codec.
> For example, look at the neels/fr branch in osmo-sip-connector.git. But yours
> sounds more like a SIP negotiation issue??
>
> I haven't used asterisk yet, but AFAIK at least yate, freeswitch and kamailio
> work without "clever hacking".
>
>> when osmobts was bridging the calls

Hmm, I clearly remember I could make calls BEFORE using the -M
/tmp/msc_mncc command, which I believe then became a config file option.
However, I was not very interested in a "stand-alone" system, so I soon
emerged on the path to integrate with asterisk. But if you say
so.....not only computer memory fail ...maybe I did not have audio, but
call progress, i.e. "ringing" ?? And that is really what is missing
here, I believe, ?? sip-sofia ?? responds "183 ringing", but no call
progress in the phone. I fixed it by forcing asterisk to generate progress.

>> Nah. osmo-bts *never* bridges nor ever bridged calls.
>> Old openbsc's osmo-nitb? openbts??
>>
>> Boldly moving on to MultiBTS and handover....
> Since you mentioned lime before, let me say that even using timing-accurate
> sysmoBTS, I had 90% handover failure until I properly calibrated the internal
> clock. With a lime and no external clock source, you're hopelessly doomed.

I *do* have clock sources, however not integrated tonight :-) Limesdr
mini feels "being worked at", for me it means multiple affordable BTS
pocket size , and I will gladly help in making it more usable. Tomorrow
I will attempt calibrating output, and possibly input, comparing spec
analyzer traces with reported signal levels. And Harald pointed me in
the right direction, the lack of output on the LimeSDR, so I will remedy
that as well, adding a booster, to bring level up to +15 dBm, more
useful but still within allowed +20 dBm for indoor use.

> ~N

Always an optimist,

Gullik