ringback in gsm. (was Re: A ramble about MSC, sip-connector and asterisk.)

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Jan 14 15:30:41 UTC 2019

On 12/01/2019 13:48, Gullik Webjorn wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Gullik, please find a couple of comments inline that I hope are helpful.

First, I recommend to run sngrep and watch the SIP transactions between
the osmo-sip-connector and asterisk.

This should make it very clear, visually, what's happening (or not).

>  These extensions do not have "progress" statements, since all SIP phones
>
> interpret the call progress sip messages such as RINGING.

What do you mean by interpret?  Do you mean that a SIP device will
generate internal audible ringback on receiving 180 Ringing?

Osmo SIP-connector is incomplete, but will react to (interpret?) a 180
Ringing, of course it does. It will also react to a 183.

On receipt of a 180 or 183 it will send MNCC_ALERT_REQ. and .. actually
looking at that, there's a flag we set:

progress.desc: GSM48_PROGR_IN_BAND_AVAIL. We appear to be sending that
on a 180, and that might not be correct.

So when you said "I don't get call progress on calls toward PSTN", I
wonder are you talking about early media (ringback)?

In GSM, the called party should generate ringback, the GSM phone is not
required to generate audible ringing notification.

see  GSM 02.40 - Procedure for call progress indications, specifically 2.1:

"Except  for  ring  tone,  all  tones  indicating  call  progress  to
a  Mobile  Station  user  shall  be  generated  in  the
MS, on the basis of signals from the network where available, and are
according to the standard defined
in this specification."

"For mobile terminated calls, the ring tone will be generated in the
called MSC"

and Section 2.2:

"The  ring  tone  will  be  sent  over  the  traffic  channel,  since
this  channel  must  be  available  for  traffic
immediately it is answered (exception: Off Air Call Set Up). The Ring
Tone is therefore generated by the
PLMN or PSTN supporting the called phone"

But whether your asterisk is generating ringback or not is kind of OT
for this mailing list.

Anyway, I'm not sure that is your issue.

As Neels mentioned, (obviously) your codec setup needs to be correct as
well, in order for your PBX to send correctly encoded early media ringback.

> I am interested in your comments whether msc + sipconnector should
> emulate mobiles as "sip phones",

Personally. I think, no it should not.

I wonder is this terminology/idea arising from OpenBTS? There was (is?)
talk about MS just being "SIP endpoints" with openbts, I know it was
something some devs on openBTS view(ed) as a plus point, and thought
this was a much better idea than supported the (much more complex)
traditional GSM core network spec. (which is what osmocom is doing).

NOTE, I believe I have at some point in the past, noticed some phone on
a commercial network generating what I could swear sounded like locally
generated ringback. It was just TOO clean. Maybe one could look at the
spec again and see if it's actually possible. Osmo sip connector could
then set whatever is required to indeed make the MS generate a local
audible ringback, although I'm not sure this would be supported all the
way back through MSC/BSC to the MS, as I don't think we support this
so-called "off the air" SETUP.