LimeNet Micro for BTS

Rafael Diniz rafael at rhizomatica.org
Fri Apr 12 14:05:21 UTC 2019

Hi Harald,

> Given that the product is as far as I understand at a very early stage,
> as far as I can tell, I would not have too high expectations on
> production deployments just yet.  This is irrespective of the name of
> the product nor of the manufacturer.  Especially as it is not a
> brand-new "base station product" consisting of an integrated solution
> from one vendor who will provide a tested, approved, working product
> consisting of hardware and software, but as it is - AFAICT - a SDR
> hardware only product where the user has to "build his own base station"
> based on several components - one very important of them of course
> being the actual hardware board.

It is a SDR hardware, but conceived, as far as I understand, with GSM
usage in mind, considering the integrated GPSDO and so on. As soon as I
put my hands on it I'd like to evaluate if it's worth invest some time
to develop a housing for it and appropriate connections for a very low
power and low cost BTS.

>> With the USB3 LimeSDR, after a few hours I _always_ get a broken trx,
>> with lots of failure messages...
>
> I'm sorry to hear this.  We're trying to address various problems
> related to LimeSDR devices for quite some time, but progress is
> unfortunately not as quick as one would hope, particularly as LimeSuite
> also evolves and every major version seems to behave quite differently,
> at least in the way how OsmoTRX is using the API.
>
> In recent weeks, Joachim has been making very good progress with help
> from Lime to resolve some of the most long-standing issues related to
> RF compliance of OsmoTRX on LimeSDR (phase noise, burst shape, ...).
> There should be a patchset pushed to gerrit soon which will address this
> one class of problems.  However, this does not adress any USB stability
> related problems, which is a separate class of issues.  We have to look
> at them once as a time
This is great, thanks for the report! I hope to have USB problems put
aside with the LimeNET Micro, this is one of the reasons of my question.

> One thing I'm a bit missing here is: Where are your comprehensive bug
> reports about this in the osmocom issue tracker?  Particularly with
> problems that manifest themselves only every few hours and hence are
> not quick to reproduce, we have to collect those issues and related
> log files, backtraces, ... in the issue tracker.

I'll do this in the next couple of days, sorry for sending the email in
advance of the actual bug report.

Thanks a lot!

Rafael Diniz