LimeNet Micro for BTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Apr 12 08:02:42 UTC 2019

Hi Rafael,

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:15:56AM -0300, Rafael Diniz wrote:
> Have anyone tried Osmo GSM stack (including the trx) with the LimeNet
> Micro with the Pi compute module? My question is if it is stable enough
> for any real deployment or just another toy for the lab.

I am not aware of anyone even having experience with (or even access to)
that hardware in general.  It may be that e.g. sysmocom has received one
in the last few days (I'm travelling this week), but it doesn't appear
to be something that many people have had a chance to try/test yet.

Given that the product is as far as I understand at a very early stage,
as far as I can tell, I would not have too high expectations on
production deployments just yet.  This is irrespective of the name of
the product nor of the manufacturer.  Especially as it is not a
brand-new "base station product" consisting of an integrated solution
from one vendor who will provide a tested, approved, working product
consisting of hardware and software, but as it is - AFAICT - a SDR
hardware only product where the user has to "build his own base station"
based on several components - one very important of them of course
being the actual hardware board.

> With the USB3 LimeSDR, after a few hours I _always_ get a broken trx,
> with lots of failure messages...

I'm sorry to hear this.  We're trying to address various problems
related to LimeSDR devices for quite some time, but progress is
unfortunately not as quick as one would hope, particularly as LimeSuite
also evolves and every major version seems to behave quite differently,
at least in the way how OsmoTRX is using the API.

In recent weeks, Joachim has been making very good progress with help
from Lime to resolve some of the most long-standing issues related to
RF compliance of OsmoTRX on LimeSDR (phase noise, burst shape, ...).
There should be a patchset pushed to gerrit soon which will address this
one class of problems.  However, this does not adress any USB stability
related problems, which is a separate class of issues.  We have to look
at them once as a time.

One thing I'm a bit missing here is: Where are your comprehensive bug
reports about this in the osmocom issue tracker?  Particularly with
problems that manifest themselves only every few hours and hence are
not quick to reproduce, we have to collect those issues and related
log files, backtraces, ... in the issue tracker.