BSC / MSC volatile state / restart handling

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sat Oct 13 17:44:22 UTC 2018

> On 11. Oct 2018, at 20:59, Keith <keith at rhizomatica.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All.

Hi!

> This is very brief, but something that's been on my mind to make a
> ticket about.
>
> I realise maybe it's better to ask first if there is a plan.

no plans but just some other generic approaches...

If we ignore "crashes" and think of managed restarts then one can...

* Have a BTS to connect to one of the BSCs
* Have a BSC to connect to one of the MSCs

* When wanting to update to block BSC/MSC from taking new connections
* Restart if drained or impatient... ;)

The next iteration comes with separating state from a TCP connection
between BSC and MSC.

* Segment id's between two MSCs (upsizing would be difficult but our
software should scale to some degree).
* Have a level of indirection that routes SCCP connections to A or B
* Have a config to drain A, B (or both...)

I think these are easier to implement than fully externalizing the state
(or more advanced state transfer topics. I do like how minix3 is updating
a server though).