React to IMSI Attach but not PERIODIC

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon May 28 10:41:01 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 09:36:59AM +0200, Keith Whyte wrote:

> On 24/05/18 15:47, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> > On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:27:38PM +0200, Keith Whyte wrote:
> >> From quick observation on legacy openBSC, we just accept the PERIODIC
> >> LUR for a "detached" MS and update the LAC in the HLR.
> > Perodic LU applies to attached MS, not detached ones.

Ah, I understand now. I got the wording the wrong way, thought you wrote "we
accept Periodic LU *only* for detached MS" while you meant to say "when a
Periodic LU comes in for a detached phone, we simply accept it".

Ok, yes, the idea remains: not trigger SMPP signals on the periodic-ness of the
LU, but rather wherever the MSC decides to change between "attached" and
"detached".

Whether a "periodic" lu is then also accepted as "imsi attach" or not is then
a mere implementation detail of the MSC.

~N