osmo-bsc with remote osmo-stp.

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Thu Jun 21 15:34:49 UTC 2018

Hi Harald,

On 21/06/18 12:11, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 04:35:43PM +0100, Andrew Back wrote:
>> Just to note that I now have voice calls working using the osmo-mgw
>> configs that Pau previously shared via the list. Thanks for your help
>> and to all who have contributed to the stack — it's exciting to be using
>> the new post-NITB architecture for the first time!
>
> Great, I'm happy to hear you could make it work.
>
> If there's anything we can improve in terms of examples, mauals, wiki,
> please don't hesitate to let us know.

A user manual for OsmoMGW would be good and sounds like it's in the
works. I was thinking I could share my configs once I have GPRS working
and, subject to these being reviewed, could update the wiki.

Other than this I think it's likely a question of just having a better
basic understanding of SS7, configuring STP, and MSC/BSC to use this.

> My guess is if you started with the included config file examples but could
> only make it work with the config files Pau shared here on the list, then
> we might want to revisit the example config files?

I started with the wiki configs, but then for a remote STP I had to add
cs7 config to the MSC and BSC, as per the test configs you linked to.

At this point handsets could register and send/receive SMS.

Then to get voice calls working I had to add lines to the configuration
of the MGW instances for the BSC and MSC, taken from Pau's config files.

I had everything running across 7x hosts: 1 each for TRX+BTS (combined),
BSC, BSC MGW, STP, MSC MGW, MSC, HLR.

> Could you pin-point it to any particular setting?

I didn't add in new config a line at a time and test, I'm afraid. E.g.
for the MGW for MSC I added:

 rtp ip-probing
 rtp ip-tos 184
 rtp port-range 4002 8000