pySim pytlv dependency

Philipp Maier pmaier at sysmocom.de
Thu Jul 19 10:06:39 UTC 2018

Hello Neels,

> just now I'm trying to use pySim to read a SIM card, but I notice:
>    ImportError: No module named pytlv.TLV
>
> I can find no pytlv in the debian packaging; and I notice this dependency was
> added only recently. When going back to
> 859e0fd1ce08699930064c12fb9f7908ef972b50 I can use pySim fine without that.

Yes, there is no debian package. Those packages have to be installed
using python-pip.

> a) I think the readme should hint at dependencies that pySim requires, which
> should include pytlv and where to find it.

I have added pyscard and pytlv notes to the readme but I am not sure if
this is really all.
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/pysim/+/10046/

> b) In python, it is easy to import pytlv only in case it is actually used,
> which would simplify dependencies for users that don't need to "get file/record
> length from FCP (USIM)" -- would that make sense?

I have tried it out, syomoUSIM-SJS1 currently does not have to look at
card responses.

I have no experience with optional imports, you mean we should do it
like this?
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/pysim/+/10048/

best regards,
Philipp