4G / LTE and osmocom

Ruben Undheim ruben.undheim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:11:45 UTC 2018

Hi,

The OpenBSC tools have turned into an impressive collection of tools.
It is great to see this huge effort being done successfully! I was
searching around on the osmocom site for information about LTE.
Either, I am very bad at searching, or there is not so much
information about that subject. I was wondering about the plans for
LTE, if there are any such plans?

I am writing this taking into account that in the country where I
live, the major telecom providers plan to shut down the 3G
infrastructure already next year, leaving only 2G and 4G running. In
some years, they also want to shut down 2G (which I have heard has
already been done some places across the Atlantic)

I found a few other projects related to LTE:  nextepc [1] and srsLTE
[2]. I see that nextepc has been mentioned in a thread related to
OsmoDevCon 2018, but I cannot see so much more information. Is the
plan maybe some time to incorporate srsLTE and nextepc into osmocom
infrastructure? Is there currently any cooperation? Or will there be
some new and fresh LTE code in osmocom?

Mainly, I was just wondering whether you can shed some light on /
discuss this subject.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Ruben Undheim